Friday, December 19, 2014

How the Author of the Midnight Louie Series Found Inspiration in my Home Town

I love going to writers’ conferences because so often I meet writers whose works I admire. When I met Carole Nelson Douglas - famed, cat-loving author of the fantastic Midnight Louie series - at the Novelists’ Inc. Conference last month. I’m afraid I turned into a pure fan-girl.  Carole’s every bit as much fun as her wonderful books are. You can visit her website here.

In case you don’t know, Midnight Louie is a twenty-pound, black, tomcat with a larger-than-life, muy macho personality. On top of that, he’s a detective when he isn’t prowling or napping or getting himself locked up on death row at the pound.

In book one, Cat in An Alphabet Soup, he’s in the process of forming a significant relationship with a woman, Temple, who’s been jilted by her human, magician lover. I, for one, think a woman with Temple’s romantic history could do far worse than to take up with a tomcat. I am a cat lover and a mystery lover; I also never mind a dash of humor. So, I love her Midnight Louie series that Carole has relaunched in e-book format with new covers.

Carole, who lives in north Texas, always wanted to have a cat as a child, but her mother told her she couldn’t have one until she grew up.  Since becoming an independent adult, she has shared her life with many lucky cats.

Apparently Midnight Louie was inspired by a real cat she learned about after reading an ad in a newspaper that read, “Midnight Louie, who's at home on your best couch as in your neighbor’s trash can… to the right home… for a mere dollar.” Intrigued, Carole, who was a journalist, interviewed the woman and then wrote her article using Midnight Louie’s tough-guy voice.

Carole Nelson Douglas and Midnight Louie
But never did I suspect that a building in my hometown had inspired her when she imagined her fabulous Midnight Louie series!

When Carole found out that I lived in Corpus Christi, she told me that she was so enchanted by the Executive House on Water Street, with its lovely views of Corpus Christi Bay, that she created Circle Ritz in Las Vegas as the fictional home of Midnight Louie and his feisty human roommate, Temple Barr.  Carole chose Las Vegas as her setting because she wanted “showgirls, bookies, busted gamblers, and other colorful characters attracting lots of tourists.”
Executive House in Corpus Christi, Texas
 That news was amazing since one of my best friends, Sherron Hubler, has a condo in the Executive House! I couldn't believe how small our world was. The Executive House is a six-story, circular condo building, each floor originally having been divided into ten, pie-shaped units.  I, myself, have twice considered buying a unit there!

Sherron Hubler in her Executive House condo in Corpus Christi, Texas  
Sherron moved to The Executive House when she downsized because she loved the water view and had good friends in the building. Since I love visiting Sherron in her charming condo with gorgeous views, I immediately felt closer to Midnight Louie and his pie-wedge unit in the Circle Ritz.

Carole said she fell in love with this building during a trip to Corpus Christi in the 80's. Out of curiosity, she revisited the building in the 2000’s when she was attending the World Fantasy Convention. A friendly resident was kind enough to give her a tour of the building as well as a tour of her apartment.

It’s always fun to learn how Texas inspires the writing of other authors, especially something so close to home! You can read another article discussing Carole's inspiration for Midnight Louie and Circle Ritz here.

If you’re looking for a new mystery series and haven’t read a Midnight Louie book yet, I highly recommend beginning with Cat in An Alphabet Soup. It's a fun, romantic mystery read that will be sure to have you chuckling at Midnight Louie's antics. Carole also recently released the newest Midnight Louie ebook, Cat in a Yellow Spotlight which is highly entertaining. 

Cat in a Yellow Spotlight
Poor Temple Barr hasn’t had much luck with men in the past. Here’s hoping the new male in her life, Midnight Louie, will prove more dependable. Unfortunately, Sherron, who loved her cat, had to give her pet up before moving into the Executive House. She can always enjoy Carole Nelson Douglas's new Midnight Louie ebooks!

2 comments:

  1. How very interesting! I have always wanted to see the inside of such buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Ms. Majors would be happy to take you on a tour if you are ever in Corpus. Sounds like a book series I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Your comments and support are always most appreciated.