Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Why I Love RWA, Harlequin and Caro Carson

Many years ago I was an aspiring writer in Orange, Texas struggling to craft a coherent sentence. I didn’t know a single published writer and imagined them to be glamorous goddesses, who lived in Manhattan and lunched with publishers.

After I’d written nearly a million unpublished words, a worried girlfriend, a lab tech, said, “Hey, maybe you should try to meet somebody in the business.” Eventually I attended a writer’s conference in Houston where I met Rita Estrada, Sondra Stafford, and Parris Bonds and become a part of a group of writers who founded Romance Writers of America (RWA), an organization conceived to nourish romance writers, shorten their journey to publication and success, and to support a published community of romance authors.

 Caro Carson Romance Writer

More than thirty years later at an RWA conference after I’d become a multi-published Harlequin author, I met Caro Carson, a younger, unpublished writer. We’d both signed up to volunteer at a luncheon. When we weren’t needed for the event she told me she’d graduated from West Point, had been an officer in the Army and now dreamed of being published by Harlequin. At the time she’d been working to achieve her dream of publication for many years. I admired her more than I can say.

          Caro had a dream.
          She struggled.
          She kept perfecting her craft.
          When she failed to sell a story, she either rewrote it or began another.
          She did this for ten years.

Her story is the story of many beginning writers and that of many giants in the romance publishing industry.

Nobody is born published. Romance writers who succeed are smart, determined women who keep working and keep perfecting their craft until they break out. If they don’t believe in themselves, nobody else ever will either.

Since she published, I have read Caro’s Doctor, Soldier, Daddy, as well as the first two books in her Texas Rescue Series:  Not Just a Cowboy and A Texas Rescue Christmas.
 Doctor, Solider, Daddy - Caro Carson

 Not Just a Cowboy - Caro Carson
I have loved every one of her books. Caro writes about real people with real problems. Her characters connect almost immediately on a soul-deep, authentic level. Caro writes about the kind of love many women can only dream of finding. Books like Caro’s will nourish their dream.

Caro specializes in heroines who are intelligent professionals like her main character in Not Just a Cowboy.  If you like virgin-romances, I was blown away by the tenderness in her truly touching virgin-sex scene in A Texas Rescue Christmas. The hero in this book may see himself as handicapped or damaged, but his talents at loving with a true heart make him an unforgettable character.   I wish Caro Carson was a stock I could invest in because she is definitely a rising star.

 A Texas Rescue Christmas - Caro Carson

I love RWA because it supports writers like Caro have faith in themselves and hold onto their dreams. And because it gave me the opportunity to meet her.

I love Harlequin for bringing this talented author to its worldwide readership. Since I belong to that readership, I became her fan.

Being a writer is about constantly re-inventing oneself. So, even though I've been a writer for a long time, I feel like a beginner who has a big dream, a writer who's willing to work and to fail and to continue working--all in the hope I'll succeed one day.

Like Caro, I’m beginning a new career, only this time in self-publishing. Once again I’m a beginner who has a big dream, a writer who’s willing to work and to fail and to continue working—all in the hope I’ll succeed one day.

I salute your talent, Caro. I’m so glad you had the courage and determination to believe in your writing ability long enough to become the wonderful storyteller you are. This wasn't a selfish battle. Romance readers everywhere who are inspired by love stories like yours will be the richer for it. Writers everywhere will also be inspired by your dedication, talent, and success.

With only a handful of published books to your credit, I am in awe of the excellence, originality, and heart-warming quality of your love stories.

You inspire me to work harder at my own craft, and I’m sure you will inspire other writers.
I dedicate this blog to all struggling writers who have big dreams like you and equally beautiful stories to tell.
---
Looking for more romance stories? Check out Ann Major's recent publication, HER PREGNANCY SECRET. A thrilling story of innocence, betrayal, and love that will have you gripping from beginning to end. 
 Her Pregnancy Secret - Ann Major





8 comments:

  1. Now I am the unpublished author who met Caro on facebook and then at a writer's conference. She is a wonderful person who is paying it forward — perhaps what she learned from you? And, of course, West Point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I give Caro full credit for her warmth, talent, and success. I wish her the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Ann! I took a cab from the airport with Rita to attend an RWA conference. I remember telling her about my latest rejection and how it felt like a dagger through my heart - and Rita telling me feedback from an editor was golden and I must continue. She made such an impact on me! RWA is a wonderful wonderful organization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you feel that way. Before RWA existed I felt so alone. That is why my friend said, "I think you should meet someone in the business." I went to Houston and most of the writers at that convention treated aspiring romance writers like we were "not real writers." It was hard enough trying to sell, but back then there was ZERO support. It was awful. We were really marginalized. And then after RWA for years we were told romance was a ghetto and none of us would ever "break out."
    Again "romance writers" proved the experts wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS about perseverance and believing in yourself. You have to want it bad enough. And you're right, there was zero support back then. Self-publishing and the internet have opened up so many opportunities for romance writers. Now is the time to go for it!

    Caro must be very talented if she touched you this much. :) Now, I have to go buy her books - and your latest. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann, I saw this posted on Caro's FB page and had to hop on over and tell you how much I love Caro too. I love that her novels could be about anyone, I love how she makes her characters come alive for me and I love how she gets them through their adversities with humility and character!! Great post too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your post. I think your comments are very insightful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Your comments and support are always most appreciated.